[GRASS-user] 3D globe in NVIZ/GRASS (Christian Ferreira)

peter.loewe at gmx.de peter.loewe at gmx.de
Wed May 2 11:06:43 EDT 2012

Hello Christian,

> is possible to have in NVIZ a 3D globe (like Google Earth)? I must create
> some animations for 2 German TV channels, and I'm struggling to find a open
> source software that can do that (not just the animation, but also the
> rendering/recording which must be 1920p aka full HD).
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.

One feasible option is to post-process GRASS raster output in POV-Ray to generate a globe. Rendering paramaters can be set according to your needs (fps, Full-HD etc).

There was a workshop on this at the WGUG 2011 meeting (-> http://www.wgug.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:scientific-workshop-2011-qspatial-analysis-with-grassq&catid=2:warsztaty&Itemid=5). The proceedings remain to be published, but there might be more info on the website.

Here's an example from Tsunami domain on what can be done with the GRASS/POV-Ray combo:

ftp://ftp.gfz-potsdam.de/home/dc/ploewe/TRIDEC/EyeCandy/TOHOKU2011/animation_fps20_merge4_fps25_diag_1600x1600.avi
[22mb file!]

hth,
Peter

--