[GRASS-user] Nviz and vector

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 13:43:08 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM, charlie <carowan at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi.  I just started using nviz, and I have been able to sucessfully display
>> raster DEM's and vector lines  (roads).  However, I have been trying to add
>> a vector layer of polygons depicting areas of open space, but only the
>> border of the area is projected as a 1px line, the fill remains transparent.
>> In an attempt to correct this, I elevated the vector off the DEM, but with
>> the same result.
>
> To my knowledge a non-feature...

In gvd.c, there is:
	    else {
		/* 2D polygons */
		/* TODO */
	    }

>> Both the vector and raster layers display correctly when viewed in 2D.
>>
>> Is this an expected outcome, or an error on my part? How do I work around
>> this?  Should I convert the vector to raster, with v.to.rast and then add it
>> as an additional layer to show the area fill?

It is possible to convert the 2D areas to 3D and then display in
wxnviz. For example in case of lakes you could assign different z
coordinate to each lake (although I'm not sure how).
However it is not clear to me how the 2D polygon should be rendered in
3D view in a general case.

> Yes, that would be the fastest solution.
> I hope that the new wxNVIZ addresses this problem.

Please, don't forget that the underlying library is the same for tcltk nviz

Anna