[GRASS-user] After Qgis installation - GRASS6.4 doesn't start anymore

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Nov 7 01:31:32 PST 2012

..

Johannes Radinger:

..

> BTW both QGIS and GRASS are installed via checkinstall. I am not
> really convinced if it really needed or if it might cause any problems (with
> versions etc)? Would it get very messy if just "sudo make install" is used?
> Any recommendations on that?

Hi Johannes,

(I am bit late on this but anyway)

uninstalling stuff that have been installed via "make install" (as a superuser
of course) is not easy -- one has to remove them manually!  In other words,
one has to to search for (all?) related (qgis) files under several directories,
i.e. ~/.qgis, /usr/local/include/qgis, /usr/local/share/qgis  and more.

checkinstall  is there to make this process easy.  Plus, it creates a .deb file
which might be useful as well.

My knowledge and experiences upon the issue are, of course, limited and maybe
someone else can shed some real light.

All the best, Nikos