[GRASS-user] R: [GRASS-dev] Problems in adding tables to a map

Aldo Clerici aldo.clerici at unipr.it
Thu Nov 22 07:59:03 PST 2012

Dear Martin and Moritz,
thanks for the helpful explanations.

So a layer is a set of integer numerical value (categories) assigned to
objects in a vector geometry file that can be used to assign to the objects
the attributes that have the same category numbers in a connected table.

So, if I need to assign different attributes to the objects in the vector
file I need to assign new categories to the objects and store them in a new
layer to be connected to a different table.
But how can I add a new layer to a vector?
v.category seems to produce a new vector map with new category values but
doesn't add a new layer in the input map.
The only way I know and I used some times ago, is through  v.db.addtable
that allow to create an empty new table connected to an existing vector and
to define the pertaining new layer. Then I enter v.digit and assign new
category values to the objects in the map through the new layer and fill the
new table with other attributes.
But I suppose there is another simpler way to add and fill a new layer as,
for example, to reclass the category numbers of a map and put the reclassed
categories in a new layer to be connected to a new table with new
attributes. Or not?

Aldo Clerici