[GRASS-user] Parallel GRASS jobs .....

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Wed Nov 28 05:21:07 PST 2012

Hi Andranik,

I'd really recommend reading the manual to g.region. If you're using the
GUI, just open the manual tab among all the tabs at the top. Otherwise,
it's also available here:

http://ludique.u-bourgogne.fr/grass/grass65/manuals/html65_user/g.region.html

What the printout you've posted is the following, I'll comment on it line
for line:

projection: 0 (x,y)

Apparently  you're not working in a projection, your region is in an
arbitrary lat/lon location.

> zone:       0

There is no zone assigned because it's not a projection with zones like
e.g. UTM

> north:      4569989.25

The northernmost border of your region is at 4569989.25 in whatever unit
your projection works with, probably meters.

> south:      4357350.75

This is the southernmost border.

> west:       436605.75

This is the westernmost border.

> east:       670334.25

This is the easternmost border.

> nsres:      28.5

The north-to-south resolution is 28.5 map units, so if you're working e.g.
with a raster your cells would be 28.5 m across if your map units are
meters.

> ewres:      28.5

The east-to-west resolution is the same as the north-to-west resolution.

> rows:       7461

There's a total of 7461 rows in your region.

> cols:       8201

And 8201 columns.

> cells:      61187661

 That makes for a total of 61187661 cells (7461 x 8201 = 61187661).

So if you're wanting to split your region into two regions that have the
same length north to south and are divided in the middle of your original
region, you could e.g. move the eastern border to the west, thus "cutting
off" the eastern half of the region:
g.region e=553470
and then put the western border there and move the eastern border back to
where it was, after you're done working on region 1.
g.region w=553470 e=670334.25

Hope that helps!
Daniel