[GRASS-user] Datum <Sphere_ARC_INFO> not recognised

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 4 09:12:37 PDT 2012

Hello,

I was creating a new location based on the shapefiles here:
http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/ecoregions/na_eco.htm#Downloads

I was a little thrown by this error:

canada_lcc:PERMANENT> g.proj -c
georef=~/grassdata/downloads/cec-ecoregions/level1/NA_CEC_Eco_Level1.shp
location=cec_ecoregions
WARNING: Datum <Sphere_ARC_INFO> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found

This is just a warning, and the location was created. I still get the
warning when importing the actual vector map:

cec-ecoregions:PERMANENT> v.in.ogr
dsn=~/grassdata/downloads/cec-ecoregions/level3/NA_CEC_Eco_Level3.shp
output=cec_level3
WARNING: Datum <Sphere_ARC_INFO> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found

I've now got my data imported, and I've confirmed it was done properly
by re-projecting it to other locations. So there isn't a problem.
However, I'm curious what the warning means? Is this something I can
safely ignore?

Thanks,

Tyler