[GRASS-user] g.extension problem

Jan Thaler jan.thaler at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 12 05:38:52 PDT 2012

Hello,

we have a problem with g.extension, that seems to be the same that was
discussed here a few days ago in the "r.stream.order export to
shapefile" thread. There is also a ticket at
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1721 but I do not fully understand
the reason why the bug is invalid.

I have a grass version 6.4 downloaded, built and installed from source.
When I now try to install an addon with

g.extension extension=v.in.gshhs operation=add prefix=~/grass_addons/vector/

I get the error stating that [...]/grass-6.4.3svn/tools/g.html2man: is a
directory

I can follow the discussion so far, that in the source tree
"include/Make/Man.make" points to "tools/g.html2man/g.html2man", while
in the installed tree it is changed and points to "tools/g.html2man".
But the first comment says "the script used to be installed into
tools/g.html2man/g.html2man, but is now just installed as
tools/g.html2man." and this seems to be wrong. I have a clean
installation, and in the install tree the file "g.html2man" is located
in the directory "tools/g.html2man" and not directly under "tools".

The ticket refers to
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Addons and there the
addons are compiled and installed from source. Is that an alternative
way to g.extension and should both work?

Jan