[GRASS-user] New AddOns for Analyzing landscape connectivity based on graph-theory - the r.connectivity.*-toolchain

SBL Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Sep 19 11:26:21 PDT 2012

Dear Helumt

Many thanks for testing!

I have to admit, that I personally find it quite challenging to write a
shell-script that also works on (the different) Windows platforms (I really
should learn more Python...). On Windows everything feels less
predictable...

B)
B can be easily fixed and I shall do so ASAP.

Regarding A: Did I get you right that you had problems with the ' \ ' and '
" '? Removing the backslash won`t be a problem, but I think the
quotation-marks are required on Linux... For the latter it is probably best
to put a note in the example...

C)
C occurs because v.extract (at line 377 of the script) fails.
I assume you used the command-line in the wxPython-GUI? Could you be so kind
and try to use the command in the text version of wingrass? I managed to run
the example on Windows XP and in the text-GUI. It is a mystery to me why
some wingrass commands behave differently when invoked from the command-line
in the GUI and from the command-line (text-GUI).
Maybe the wxPython - text - GUI differences are also causing A (and D)!?

I think it would be a pitty if the GUI was not usable for these addons, but
I feel that it is beyond my power to make it work... Are there any solutions
I could use from other shell-scripts (calling v.extract)?

D)
The %PATH% settings are also a problem for ghostscript which is required for
eps-output (the plots). Because this is neither added to the %PATH%-variable
by default, I simply skipped/deactivated checking for ghostscript in windows
(here also the commands / executables can be different... :-( ), so checking
for ghostscript on Windows is challenging in itself.
The problem with R is, that R is called by the script (while ghostscript is
not). In other words: the script  requires that the path to R is defined in
the %PATH% settings and that R can be called directly...
Maybe the best way to solve this is to add this information to the
error-message (and a link to the GRASS-R-Wiki...).

Strange that r_connectivity.log seams not to be readable. Because from your
output you posted I can see, that the file was written at the correct place.
So the path must have been interpreted correctly for writing. I have no idea
why it is obviously not interpreted correctly for reading... I will check
that...

Best regards
Stefan