[GRASS-user] Memory allocation in Grass 6.4.2 Windows

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Sep 29 01:36:01 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Paul Shapley <p.shapley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when using the r.to.vect module:
>
> ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 25440000 bytes at areas.c:678

This error message is now hopefully more useful in 6.4.svn (i.e. 6.4.3 in the
very near future). Would you mind to upgrade to the nightly snapshot?:

http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass64/

and try again? As a bonus it includes many more bugfixes.
We need to know if the better error message is triggered or not.

> I understand that this is due to the standard memory installation of 64mb of
> RAM allocation.

While GRASS may even run with 64MB RAM, you likely mean 64bit CPU (rather
than 32bit). To some extent, GRASS 6 offers large file support for raster data
while GRASS 7 aims at complete  large file support for raster and vector data
on 32bit architectures.

> How can i overcome this limitation.I also need to solve this
> on my Ubuntu 12.04 install

To not leave you in the dark: the computation region
(http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Computational_region) will be either to large
or have too many raster cells active (too high resolution).  So, in the first
place check the output of

g.region -p

However, please make the winGRASS test for us first, thanks!

Markus