[GRASS-user] Rasterize polygons, multiple polygons per grid cell

Lars Dalby lars.dalby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 07:23:13 PDT 2012

Hi Stefan

Thank your for your suggestion!

Yes, I did try v.to.rast exactly as you suggested. I use the attribute
AREA_SKM in the GLWD file. It is describing the area of the polygon in
square kilometres.

But the resulting file only contains 116 non NA cells. This is clearly too
few.

There is a couple of things I am not quite sure of how the v.to.rast
handles.
What determines if a cell gets a value? Does the cell centroid have to be
covered by the polygon file? If this is the case then that might explain why
I get so few non NA cells.
And how is v.to.rast dealing with the situation where more than on polygon
falls within a cell? Does it take the mean, max or sum or something else?
What happens in the case where a polygon extends from one cell into another?

Ones again thanks for your help!

Best
Lars