[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.4 How to extract point-values from multiple rasters

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:34:46 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Tim Michelsen
<timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Interestingly.
> Yesterday I had the same task to solve:
> have a vector with some sampling points and wanting to insert values
> from 2 raster layers to the table.
>
>>> The GRASS module r.what [0] extracts raster values at a
>>> given location. As input you need to give the name of the
>>> raster map and the coordinates as east,north
>>>
>>> [0] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/r.what.html
>>
>> note that r.what can take multiple rasters and multiple point-
>> values as input, all in one pass, to make a table.
> I do not understand why r.what should be of help here.

r.what would not help here, but for the original question because
there a vector map was not mentioned.

> r.what [1] just prints out.
> Isn't the right tool v.sample [2]?

r.what extracts values from one or more raster maps at locations given
by coordinates.

v.what.rast uploads raster values at positions of vector points to the table.

v.rast.stats calculates univariate statistics from a raster map based
on vector areas (polygons) and uploads statistics to new attribute
columns.

HTH,

Markus M