[GRASS-user] Ubuntu Packages for Addons [was: Re: Fwd: Re: ppa for grass 7 Ubuntu Quantal]

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Fri Apr 26 14:29:03 PDT 2013

>> Below a suggestion for the packaging structure:
>> regarding addon packaging. We can create packages like
>> grassaddons(full addons)
>> grassaddons-imgagery
>> grassaddons-vector
>> grassaddons-raster
>> grasssaddons-general
I question when looking at :
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons

I wonder:
* why is there a separate branch per major grass version?
* what is the policy for backwards / upwards compatibility?
* shall we instead of grouping by command type group by version?

> if you do it, please name the pacakges like "grass-addons-*",
> and install to /usr/lib/grass64/addons/. We'd have to patch our
> lib/init/init.sh in the main ubuntu package to add that dir
> to the GRASS_ADDON_PATH if it existed on the system.
Why do we not make this default, then?

> I'd base the decision on if to package them all together or
> in groups based on how big the resulting package was. if it's
> just a couple of MB, keep it simple in one pkg-- note for
> official debian packaging all the docs and help page images
> would need to be split out into another platform-inspecific
> -data &/or -docs package(s). So your 4-5 packages above grow
> to 12-15 of them.. for a weekly ppa build it doesn't matter
> though. (the reason for that on Debian is to avoid duplicated
> space in the archives since 11 different hardware platforms,
> each needing their own binary pkg but can share the -data one)
Let's get the thing going on experimental basis and then see how we
could organise it.