[GRASS-user] Opening a shape file in GRASS 6.4.3

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Aug 13 14:44:04 PDT 2013

Sonali Saha wrote:

> I am new GRASS use, and learning GRASS to use conservation literacy using
> rare plant databases.

Nice!

> To start with I converted a Kml file of the state of Meghalaya India to a
> shapefile using DNRGarmin. However when I try to open the shapefile in GRASS
> I keep getting errors and the map of the opened file does not look anything
> like the original map.

How does the original map look like?  Viewing the attached ESRI Shapefile
within from QGIS, it does not look "ok".

> What did I do wrong. I am attaching the shapefile and dbf file, I used.

My guess is that either the original file has some problem (open polygon), or
the conversion did not work well.

You can try to import the KML file directly, e.g.

v.in.ogr dsn=/Path/To/Meghalay.kml out=Meghalay

Or else, convert it to anything that OGR (<http://www.gdal.org/ogr/>) supports
by using the ogr2ogr (<http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html>) utility. Or, open it
in QGIS, and save it as a Shapefile.  Many options

Hope this helps, Nikos