[GRASS-user] v.overlay not working?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Aug 31 05:02:23 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
> v.overlay fails on some specific layers:

Which GRASS GIS version do you use?

> ===
> v.overlay ainput=liguria_agricola at alessandra atype=area alayer=1
> binput=uso_suolo_agricolo at alessandra btype=area blayer=1 output=over_xor operator=xor
>
> Collecting input attributes...
> DBMI-DBF driver error:
> Cannot create dbf database: cat /home/paolo/Desktop/spezia/grass/spezia/alessandra/dbf/

please report
v.db.connect -p

> ===
> I suspect this is due to the precence of duplicated CATs in one of the origin layers.
> So the questions are:
> * how to rearrange CATs, removing duplicates (but keeping all the geometries)?

AFAIK v.in.ogr does not accept identical column names. How was the map imported
(v.info -h mapname)?

For duplicate column names, there is the cnames parameter to rename
them on the fly.
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/v.in.ogr.html

So (in theory) this error should not happen at all...

Markus