[GRASS-user] Help: cannot change directory in GRASS - QGIS installation

Paul Brewin PBrewin at fisheries.gov.fk
Tue Dec 3 04:32:50 PST 2013

Hello,  I can't seem to change the search path in GRASS 6.4.3, Windows 7, installed with the QGIS 2.0 bundle.  To walk through my steps so far...
I have a bash script example below called myscript.sh.  It comes from http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS#MODIS_Aqua

##################
#!/bin/sh
for file in A*SST_4 ; do
    echo "map: $file"
    gdal_translate -a_srs "+init=epsg:4326" -a_nodata 65535 \
    -a_ullr -180 90 180 -90 -co "COMPRESS=PACKBITS" \
    HDF4_SDS:UNKNOWN:"$file":0 ${file}_prep.tif
    r.in.gdal in=${file}_prep.tif out=$file
done

The script and data files (with the pattern A*SST_4) are stored in  <D:/....../raw_data>. To run the script in the GRASS command console I use

sh D:/...../raw_data/mystript.sh

This does not work, and I see that its because the data files can't be found.  So using DIR in the GRASS command console reveals that the search path is C:\PROGRA~1\QGISDU~1\bin

In the GRASS command console I then type cd D:/....../raw_data, with no errors.  However, typing DIR or LS in the command line shows that I'm still in C:\...\bin

I can make this work by simply copying the data files to the C:\...\bin directory, but its not ideal as the processed files (the ${file}_prep.tif bit) end up in the C:\ directory.  I can also modify the <for> loop by adding the full file path, but as you can see, that breaks the script at the r.in.gdal line because r.in.gdal then tries to create a db in my Mapset that has a huge directory path in the name ($file), which is not allowed.

I think there are other issues, for example when I run the script using the C:/ as above, it adds the db to my Mapset (I can see it with r.info), but I then can't seem to add them as layers.

Very long winded, but the I think the basic problem is that I can't change the path.  Launching GRASS as administrator does not help.   Ultimately, I'd like to process the raw modis files, add them to my mapset, and view the layer.  Working through the rest of the example in  http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS#MODIS_Aqua also falls over when I get to the Set Colours section with <palette_sst.gcolors> also because I think the path is not correct.

Thanks for your help!

Paul