[GRASS-user] Cannot change directory via GRASS command console

Paul Brewin PBrewin at fisheries.gov.fk
Thu Dec 5 05:04:57 PST 2013

Dear List - I am having difficulties with the below script, and it seems to be because there is a possible bug in the the GRASS installation that comes bundled with QGIS2.

To synthesis the problem, through the GRASS command console, I can't seem to change directory.  After launching GRASS, typing DIR or LS produces the contents of C:\PROGRA~1\QGISDU~1\bin.  Then I type cd <D:/....../raw_data> to change directory and point GRASS to where my data is stored (and to the directory where gdal_translate writes processed tiff files) - this runs without error.  However, typing LS or DIR then still show the original C:/ directory.

I can run the below script, gdal_translate finds the raw files in the C:/ directory, r.in.gdal finds the processed files in the C:/ directory, and places them in the correct MAPSET.   But its not ideal to have to load my C:/....bin directory with hundreds of raw files, then have it filled with processed files, etc.  I think this is having other down-stream effects on how GRASS works when I want to start working with my imported layers.

I've talked to a few unix people here and they're stumped.  I've also scoured the GRASS environment variables and online help.  I'm using the GRASS 6.4 bundled with QGIS2, on Windows 7.  It would be great if someone could check if this CD issue is common to other's similar installations, and if not, suggest what might be wrong with my system.

Thanks,
Paul.