[GRASS-user] Unable to start Grass with North Carolina dataset

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 18 23:25:22 PST 2013

(cc list)

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Tahir Tamba <tahir.tamba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> I'm not running more than one session. What I suspect when I created
> grassdata directory on my local directory using ubuntu shell (terminal) :
> sudo mkdir grassdata /home/ttamba every mapset I move to that directory is
> locked.

Yes: you should not use "sudo" here as it then creates directories as
"root" user.

> I've tested with maas6 mapset and I experienced the same issue. The
> only tip to solve the issue is the one that Thomas points me out. As you
> mention I suspect an ownership issue with my home directory.

Exactly.
You need to use (with sudo) the chown command to get back ownership.
You need to apply that recursively to also get back the
subdirectories:

# check your username/group
id

# get back the GRASS data ownership (assuming "ttamba" as username,
your group I don't know):
sudo chown -R ttamba:yourgroup /home/ttamba/grassdata

> But I've made an other test by creating manually grassdata directory and by
> copying North Carolina dataset inside without using the terminal and I've
> never get any error message. I can access the mapset without any problem.

Sure, since you did not create it as "root" user in this case but this
your user name (as it should be).

Markus