[GRASS-user] getting from DBF to SQLite

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 21:54:01 PST 2013

MarkusM wrote:
> This could cause problems with SQLite directory locking
> because of [0].
> [0] http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html

Could you review again what the problem with sqlite3 directory
locking was? In that url I see the rollback file with the name
of the sqlite.db file + "-journal", but not what would lock
some other .db file in the same dir. Is it the fsync()?

maybe summarize the answer at one of these pages:
 http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SQLite_unlock_database
 http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Data_formats#SQLite_and_SpatiaLite
 http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/grass-sqlite.html

> Therefore I would prefer to restore the previous behaviour
> of allowing
> '$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/vector/$MAP/sqlite.db

AFAIK that is still allowed, the question is how to make it
(optionally) the user's default, instead of having to run
v.db.connect each time? Perhaps the only missing piece is adding
the parsing of "$MAP" into [v.]db.connect so you don't have to
tailor it per map &/or the link survives a g.rename of the map.

Hamish