[GRASS-user] grass prompt default working directory

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Feb 26 05:29:12 PST 2013

On Tuesday 26 of February 2013 14:13:02 Vincent Bain wrote:
> Hello list,

Hi Vincent.

> when launching grass64, the working directory of the process (I mean the
> grass prompt in the terminal window) is located at user's home (e.g pwd
> command returns: /home/vincent). I did not find if this path was stored
> in a Grass environment variable ?

You work in a linux-box, right? I think the GRASS-working-directory (if I can
name it like that as per the pwd command) it just remains there from where you
actually launching grass.

Try launching from a different directory.

> is it possible to change the default path ?

I think there is no GRASS_HOME variable! Not sure however -- maybe check here:
<http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/variables.html>.

> The point is I often need to cd to the current mapset directory, it
> could be convenient to have the ability to set this default path at
> grass startup in a given location/mapset.

Me too!

> Has anyone any advice/idea for this ?

It sounds easy to do!?  Something like using GRASS' existing environment
variables GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME, MAPSET and instructing inside the GRASS
initialization (Python) script to navigate to this directory?

Don't know if this breaks anything...
Sorry, no time to test myself.

Best, Nikos