[GRASS-user] 3-D plane workflow

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 21:56:47 PST 2013

Adam wrote:
> I would like to be able to put some surfaces in the space over
> a DEM.

in NVIZ, add a new raster surface, and set the map to a constant
value instead of a map name. You can either change the value of
the constant or the z-position offset to move it around.

For a finite surface area, use r.plane or like
  r.mapcalc "constmap = 100"
and load a second raster surface in NVIZ's raster controls.
You can also set its transparency level to make it translucent
for a nice see-through effect.

3D vector faces may work as well, but they are not as mature.

Hamish

ps- Helena/Carla: re. the shading I think there is some bug in
at least tcl/tk NVIZ where one of the light sources (the direct
one?) gets turned off and does not go back on. the only way back
is to save the state and restart NVIZ.