[GRASS-user] to move or not move ? grass64 <- ? -> 7.0

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:28:12 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 03:59:49PM -0200, Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:
>> Thanks Rashad,
>>
>> I understand that grass 7 have a lot of new features (or
>> improved/fixed ones), including the powerful contribution of python.
>> But I would like to hear from grass7 users about how stable are this
>> version. Anyone survive using only  grass7 our we need to switch
>> between them?
>
> I have seen quite a bit of bugs in grass 7, but the GRASS developpers
> are very quick to fix a correctly reported bug.

Some of the bugs reported by you were really helpful to improve new
functionality in GRASS 7. GRASS developers actually depend on this
kind of feedback, and the more power-users use GRASS 7 and report any
bugs, the better. In general, I estimate that GRASS 7 (on the command
line) is as robust, but if in doubt faster and less resource intensive
than GRASS 6.

Some of the bugs reported by you apply to GRASS 6 only, are fixed in
GRASS 7 and can not be backported to GRASS 6 because the required
changes would break GRASS 6 compatibility.

Other bugs that were present in GRASS 6 + 7 are only fixed in GRASS 7
and may or may not be backported to GRASS 6.

Obviously I am advocating the use of GRASS 7, but for production work
I would, like Paolo, recommend to have GRASS 6 on the side.

As a GRASS developer, I personally use only GRASS 7 for production work.

Markus M