[GRASS-user] Upon improving the GRASS-wiki

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Jan 16 05:01:51 PST 2013

Hi Vaclav!

On Wednesday 16 of January 2013 12:40:57 Vaclav Petras wrote:
> New GRASS-GIS-Wiki logo:
> What about "GRASS Wiki" instead of "Wiki"?
> We call these pages GRASS Wiki, do we?
> So, why not make it clear for novices and visitors?

Sure, it sounds good for the logo(gram).

> Moreover, there is no GRASS (GIS) text in pages now, except for the title.
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:NikosA#GRASS-GIS_logo

I am not sure I understand what you mean here, but, for what is worth:

I would like to use everywhere (in instructions on inside the Wiki or else)
simply "GRASS". I just keep writing GRASS-GIS to be consistent with the title
of the main web-site.

I think that there is an unnecessary use of the term GIS in the main web-site
(and elsewhere?): both in the title "GRASS GIS" and in the subtitle "The
world's leading Free GIS software".

Why not (title) "GRASS", (subtitle) "The world's leading Free GIS software"?

>From another point of view, someone might argue that GRASS-GIS is a unique
acronym not easily to be confused with other meanings/acronyms/terms.

Thanks, Nikos