[GRASS-user] GRASS mirrors

Rainer M Krug R.M.Krug at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 01:39:18 PST 2013

On 18/01/13 21:23, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a quick question: I was looking for a list of existing mirrors, but I couldn't find any on
>> the new site - only on the old one (e.g. http://ludique.u-bourgogne.fr/grass/intro/general.php) ?
>> Is the mirror selection done automatically when downloading?
>
> Rainer
>
> all the old mirrors went out of sync with the switch to the CMS.
> Pawel Netzel set up a new system for mirroring even the CMS
> and turn it into a rsync master as before. See
>
> The original plan was to have only the GRASS CMS at OSGeo
> and the mirrors copying only the software and data files.
> Pawel showed that also a full CMS cloning is possible (PLEASE
> don't all now clone the CMS, it will bomb it out!!).
>
> Due to my (ongoing) hospital stay I was not able to manage that
> any more, hence incomplete.
> I am not entirely convinced that the CMS should be cloned around
> the globe. But no strong opinion yet.

OK - this explains.

> Maybe some *strategic* mirrors in some countries are better than
> maximising the clones (which ruins the page ranking and dilutes
> the branding efforts when a mirror picks a higher ranking than the
> master site as it happened before).

The branding and the stats are an important reason to keep some level of centralization (which is a
problem of R which always comes up, as the mirror system is completely decentralized and it is
effectively not possible to get any reliable figures).

Just an idea (and no idea how practical or even possible it is): if all downloads are *managed* by a
central server (i.e. requests for download go the the central sever which then sends the request to
the closest server, the download manager could keep stats of downloads, while the whole website
would be available at different servers.

Cheers,

Rainer