[GRASS-user] Add-on installation v.strahler not working properly on Mac OS X (or Windows XP)

Ralf Schäfer senator at ecotoxicology.de
Fri Jan 25 06:36:36 PST 2013

Dear all,

I tried to install v.strahler and the included other scripts (v.mainchannel, r.broscoe, r.strahler) on a Mac OS X 10.8 with GRASS GIS 6.4.2 (from kyngchaos) and eventually succeeded, but the following errors were shown  during the compilation of v.strahler:

ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/lib'
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/usr/local/pgsql-9.0/lib'
ERROR: G_getenv(): Variable GISDBASE not set

I suspect that the module is not working properly, because I can not replicate output that was obtained with an older installation of GRASS GIS (6.3) and an older version of OS X (10.6). In the some project location and for the same maps used in the past, I now obtain a shapefile with 99% 0 i.e. no Strahler order assigned. In the past this worked much better, the old map shows only ~20% 0s (due to braided streams etc.). In addition, the Manual is not shown in the GUI window - but was in the past.

Could this be due to a wrong compilation that something is missing - or does the module not run properly anymore under newer versions of GRASS or OS X?

I actually, tried to install v.strahler via g.extension on a Windows XP machine as well, but although it said "Successfully installed", it gives an error message when calling the module in the GUI and says "unknown command" on the command line.

I am aware that the r.stream.order etc. exists, but I want to assign Strahler order to an existing stream network.

Any help appreciated!

Best regards,

Ralf Schäfer