[GRASS-user] Possible to switch off permissions check of mapsets?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Jul 31 12:59:18 PDT 2013

Michel Wortmann:
> > And straight on to another question:
> > Is there a way of switching of the permissions check when opening a
> > mapset? It prevents me from opening mapsets that are mounted on
> > different filesystems as the grass installation. E.g. if I try to open a
> > mapset located on a remote directory (mounted using fuse) in my local
> > Ubuntu grass6.4 version fails with:
> >
> > ERROR: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission denied
> >
> > Any solution to this would be much appreciated.

Tim Michelsen:
> I totally agree with you. Especially for the 1 machine with dual boot
> set-up.

> Unfortunately, core developers are of different opinion:
>
> [Fwd: Re: GRASS permission issue]
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/39132/focus=39146
>
> Hope if more come in we could convince them...
>
> Regards.

Tim,

I have never ever had such a "problem" -- it always was in the end a
permission issue on the "operating system world".  That is, one has to
properly mount the drive/filesystem he wants to use under its own user-id (at
least in Linux) and there will be no issue.

Best regards, Nikos