[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] how to make non-merged buffers?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 4 10:54:47 PDT 2013

So this is odd.

I have 166 points, with a few cases where 2 points are in the same location
I created a set of circular buffers around the points with

v.buffer -t input=neolithic_sites type=point output=sites5km distance=5000

This indeed created a set of overlapping (non-merged), circular buffers.

BUT, it creates 212 areas and 100 islands according to the command output and metadata report (v.report).

There are only 166 attribute table entries.

So what are the extra areas and the islands?

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)