[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] how to make non-merged buffers?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 4 12:28:50 PDT 2013

So maybe I found the answer to my question, but it has left me confused.

I'm attaching a zip file of 2 images of buffers created around a set of points. This is a closeup of a part of my complete dataset.

buffer1.png shows the original points (blue triangles) and the circular buffers (in grey with "X" centroids).
buffer2.png shows the same points and buffers in digitizing mode

It seems like a centroid is created for every overlap as well as the non-overlapped part of each buffer. I don't know if an area is defined for each overlap too. However, my guess is that this is why I have 212 areas created for 166 points I am buffering. I'm not sure what is being defined as "islands", but there are 100 of these in all.

Centroids are placed in the center of each overlapping and non-overlapping area. That means that area centroids may not correspond spatially to the original points. This is clear in each of the 2 images.

When I calculate the square area of each area feature linked to each attribute record, it returns a correct value for a circular area.

So maybe I can just ignore the extra stuff? But I worry a bit that this will show up incorrectly in some analyses.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice:   480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)