[GRASS-user] grass vector model, cats and layers concept

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jun 6 03:28:34 PDT 2013

Nikos Alexandris:

Markus Metz wrote:

> Because you need to modify vector geometries in order to add a new
> layer. Categories and layers are first and foremost stored together
> with the geometries. Whenever geometries are modified, the result will
> be a new vector map (with the exception of v.edit and the digitizers).

Just for (even more) completeness and understanding:  adding a new layer does
not really change the geometries per-se (that is the topology, the shape).
It's the inner design of the vector data model, i.e. the fact that categories
and layers are bound together.

Is it wrong to describe it as an internal "indexing" issue or similar?

Thanks, N