[GRASS-user] grass vector model, cats and layers concept

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jun 6 05:52:17 PDT 2013

Markus Metz wrote:

> >> Because you need to modify vector geometries in order to add a
new
> >> layer. Categories and layers are first and foremost stored
together
> >> with the geometries. Whenever geometries are modified, the result
will
> >> be a new vector map (with the exception of v.edit and the
digitizers).

Nikos A:

> > Just for (even more) completeness and understanding:  adding a new
layer
> > does not really change the geometries per-se (that is the
topology, the
> > shape).

Markus Metz:

> No, it does change the geometry directly.

O-K.  This is where I am confused.

> > It's the inner design of the vector data model, i.e. the fact that
> > categories and layers are bound together. Is it wrong to describe
it as an
> > internal "indexing" issue or similar?

> Yes, it is wrong. Categories and layers are first and foremost
stored
> together with the geometries.

I'll try to consult the programmer's manual or else about the vector
data model.  I need to clarify this to myself :-).

> Therefore adding a new layer will modify the geometries directly.
IOW,
> categories and layers are part of the (GRASS) vector geometry
objects.

Rigth, I need to (re-)define to myself the "geometries" term.

> Also, layers and categories have nothing to do with topology.

A-ha...

> A new layer really is only added by modifying the geometries, only
after
> that you might want to attach a table to that new layer.

Will check the manuals...

> I guess you confuse layer with database connection. The existence of
> layer is a condition for an optional database connection. A database
> connection itself does not mean the layer of this connection
actually
> exists.

Danke Markus.

I am not really confused over the layer/db-connection stuff.  Rather,
it is the topology - geometry - categories and layers stuff that I am
confused about.

Nikos