[GRASS-user] NDVI analyses with Landsat 8

Huub Munstege hmunstege at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 02:05:48 PDT 2013

Hi there all! Greetings from a happy Grass-root GISser on an Archlinux box...

Is there already a way to analyze the new Landsat 8 images (they are already available!)?
We are in particularly interested in the Normalized Standardized Vegetation Index (NDVI). We noticed a shift in wavelength range that is best depicted here:

http://www.gisagmaps.com/landsat-8-about-refinements/
Doing the well-known raster map calculation with the bands 5 (NIR) and 4 (R) of L-8 doesn't give a satisfying result. Very bluntly we subtracted 0.12 from the 'ndvi' raster derived from L-8. Without doubr there must be more elegant and correct solutions. Any ideas are very welcome

Cheers,

Huub Munstege
BPE 2836
Bamako, Rep. du Mali