[GRASS-user] grass 6.4.3 MSYS interface within windows 8

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 02:44:54 PDT 2013

Miltinho:
> how can I start msys console to run shell script mode within
> grass gis 6.4.3 on windows 8?

I haven't tried GRASS on Windows 8 myself, but from what I
understand there is a feature where you can type in what you
want to run and it will find the menu shortcut for you.

The Start Menu link you are looking for is called:

  "GRASS GIS 6.4.3svn GUI with MSYS"

the shortcut launches:
"C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 6.4.3svn\msys\msys.bat" /grass/grass64svn.sh -wx

and is started from this directory:
"C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 6.4.3svn\msys"

if all else fails I hear there are a number of 3rd party
addons to Windows 8 that restore the Start button and menus.

If you discover any secret tricks in getting it to work smoothly,
please let the list know.

regards,
Hamish