[GRASS-user] Installing GRASS on Ubuntu: compilation error

RichardC richtcooper at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 13 08:53:30 PDT 2013

Configure proceeds without error after removing
--with-gdal=/home/rcooper/grass7/bin/gdal-config

However, I receive the following error re running configure for
gdal-grass-1.4.3 $ ./configure \
>  --prefix=/home/rcooper/grass7 \
>  --with-gdal=/home/rcooper/grass7/bin/gdal-config \
>  --with-grass=/home/rcooper/grass7/grass7_trunk/ \
>  --with-autoload="/usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/" \
>  --with-ld-shared="g++ -shared"
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
using user supplied .so link command ... g++ -shared
user supplied gdal-config (/home/rcooper/grass7/bin/gdal-config)
using /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/ as GDAL shared library autoload directory
checking for G_asprintf in -lgrass_gis... no
configure: error: --with-grass=/home/rcooper/grass7/grass7_trunk/ requested,
but libraries not found!  Perhaps you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
/home/rcooper/grass7/grass7_trunk//lib?

I believe I can set the PATH by modifying .profile in Ubuntu.