[GRASS-user] [LAStools] Computing for the Density

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:37:54 PDT 2013

Hello Charm,

great question. Since you are expecting around 2 pulses per square meter and since you are using a step of 5 which equals 5m by 5m = 25 m^2 and since you are using the last only (or first only) retirn filter to count only one return per pulse you should expect to get values around 50 in the grid cells.

You will get - possibly much - smaller values whenever the strip does not fully cover the grid cell. It is possible that just one pulse hits one corner of a grid cell.

You will get - possibly much - larger values when the sampling on the ground gets condensed (but also streched out) because of strong pitch variations of a small aircraft in turbulences. But the more "systematic" larger values come from hardware that use a zig-zag scanner to scan. As the oszillating mirror slows down to change direction at the scan line edges you tend to get much much denser sampling there ... somewhat unrepresentative for the average sampling so it is important for zig zag scanners not to count the density of points along the edges when computing averages. One way of "not" counting them is to use a filter on the scan angle. For example

lasinfo -i sample.laz ^
           -compute_density ^
           -drop_abs_scan_angle_above 18

or

lasgrid -i sample.laz ^
           -density -step 5 ^
           -drop_scan_angle -20 20 ^
           -o density_25sqrmtr.asc

could do the trick.

Another issue ... if you density ranges up to 255 then higher values may be cut off and you should use '-density_16bit' instead of '-density' and use wider counters (16 bit instead of 8 bit).

Regards,

Martin