[GRASS-user] Upon improving the GRASS-wiki

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Mar 2 07:35:41 PST 2013

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Nikos,

Hi Markus.

> I got a bit lost in this discussion: what's really needed to make
> the style-up of the Wiki?

In short, just adding a(nother) CSS [1][2].

> The Mediawiki version we run is fairly new, so that's not really needed to
be updated, right?

Right.

Thank you Markus.
Nikos
--

ps- Long answer (just for the sake of completeness):

as it is known, a CSS simply affects the appearance -- nothing else, i.e.
nothing to do with the internals of the wikimedia engine.

Of course, a bad CSS might render content, written in a markup language,
practically non-readable or very "noisy".  Just about that.   It's, more or
less, like painting the covers of your laptop with your favourite colour,
right? :-).  If you are not careful, you might "glue" the lid and won't be
able to open it :D :D.  But, it won't really hurt the machine.

Note, all *WikiMedia* users have already the option to change the default
"styling" and select among 8 (if my memory is good) different styles.

I propose that, for warming-up, we can simply add an extra "styling", it'll be
the 9th -- not even the default one.  It won't affect running code or else.
Test-drive it for some time.  If it's good to go, replace the current default.

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets>
[2] <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CSS>