[GRASS-user] 'build' directory location for add-ons

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 4 13:52:30 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Chad Ferguson <terrafergus at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to install several add-ons through the command console (g.extension)
> and they failed,
> returning the message
>
> Compiling...
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/build': Permission denied
> make: ***
> [/build/buildd/grass70-7.0/debian/tmp/usr/lib/grass70] Error
> 1
>
> Where should this directory be created?  If I create it will this fix the
> problem?

It should not install into the system area. Please type at the GRASS
terminal window command prompt:

# this only works if your GRASS 7 is recent:
echo $GRASS_ADDON_BASE

to see how it is defined. I have for example

GRASS 7.0.svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > echo $GRASS_ADDON_BASE
/home/neteler/.grass7/addons

In case it should be defined likewise at your end:
export GRASS_ADDON_BASE=$HOME/.grass7/addons

Perhaps these emails can be helpful (although for GRASS 6):
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2013-February/067077.html
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2013-February/067142.html

Markus