[GRASS-user] ps.map: rectangle over map border?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 12 03:03:59 PDT 2013

On 11/03/13 15:25, Anna Kratochvílová wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Nikos Alexandris
> <nik at nikosalexandris.net>  wrote:

>> Moritz L:
>>> AFAIK, just give the rectangle map coordinates that are outside the map
>>> frame. Ex:
>>
>>> raster elevation at PERMANENT
>>> rectangle 637375 211190 643918 207236
>>
>> note, the manual states:
>> rectangle east north east north -- typo?
>
> I think it means *EN* coordinates of two corners (probably north west,
> south east)

Yes, this is consistent with other objects.

>>>       color black
>>>       fcolor red
>>>       width 2.0
>>>       end
>>>
>>> with r.info -g elevation:
>>>
>>> north=228500
>>> south=215000
>>> east=645000
>>> west=630000
>>
>> So, that means that it is:
>> rectangle west north east south?

To be precise: it's easting northing of upper left corner and easting
northing of lower right corner.

>> What about the following:
>>
>> did you try to place a box that is 1/3 inside the map-frame and 2/3 outside?
>> The map border is drawn on top of the rectangle.
>
> It's not working for me either. I think it is worth opening a ticket.

I can get it to "work" by deactivating the map border (border n) and
then drawing two rectangles, one as map border and the other as the
legend rectangle, with the latter below the former in the ps.map file:

maploc 0.705 1.158  6.671 6.017
border n

paper a4
     left 0.5
     right 0.5
     bottom 1
     top 1
     end

raster elevation at PERMANENT
rectangle 630000 228500 645000 215000
     color black
     fcolor none
     width 1.0
     end
rectangle 629830 218445 634471 213474
     color black
     fcolor 233:244:26
     width 2.0
     end

end

But I agree that this kind of detour shouldn't be necessary.

Moritz