[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] minimal wxPython version

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:26:08 PDT 2013

Minimum wxPython version is changed in r55466 (I hope I haven't missed
any other places).

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:
>> By at least, do you mean looking at 2.6, 2.7 or 3.0 as well?
>
> +1 for python 2.6 that it is the default version in debian stable [0]...
>

> Moreover, the Python 2.6 [1] added compatibility functions in a
> future_builtins module and a -3 switch to warn about usages that will
> become unsupported in 3.0...
> Therefore if we require python2.6, we can start to think about
> cleaning the python code and start to use the "future_builtins"
> modules.

Yes, python3 is probably inevitable so we should prepare for it.

> Concerning GRASS and python 3.X, I think that the biggest problem is
> the WxPython, at the moment only the develop version Phoneix[2] it is
> working with python 3.

I think a lot of other projects are in the same situation so I hope
Phoenix will become more stable soon. It will take some time to update
wxGUI to work with it but in theory there shouldn't be any major
problems. A lot of small problems will appear, often because some
parts of the gui code is a mess (usually some gui layout parts) and
the newer wxPython doesn't accept it.

So any other opinions on Python version?

Anna