[GRASS-user] Installing GRASS 7 on Mac OS 10.8: binary or build from source?

pyrogerg gregory.penn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 12:01:10 PDT 2013

I want to install GRASS 7 on my Mac, which is running Mac OS 10.8.3. There is
a binary installer at

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_mac/OSX10.6-snowleopard/

which is linked to from http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/

I already have installed GRASS 6 and its required frameworks (all from
William Kyngesburye's binaries). My question is,

1) Would I do better to install GRASS 7 from the binary mentioned above, or
to build it from source?
2) Do I need to install new frameworks for GRASS 7, or newer versions of
existing frameworks?

Building from source is not something with which I am very familiar, so if
that is the preferred route then it would be helpful to have some
instructions for how to do it correctly.

Thanks,
Gregory