[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.4.RC3 GUI not starting on windows & GRASS 7 not launching at all

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 18:12:57 PDT 2013

Hanan wrote:
> I just want to confirm that replacing
> my system-wide Python installation with version 2.7.4,
> instead of 2.7.2, solved the problem.

thanks for the confirmation.
(@devs: where to put wingrass release notes these days?)

MarkusM:
> I had the same problem and found out that a system-wide
> Python installation (2.7.2, independent of GRASS) caused the
> trouble.
> Uninstalling the system-wide python helped, but this may not
> be an option for many users, because other software might
> rely on a particular python version installed.

for them the GRASS python.exe can be set with full path name in
C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS...\etc\env.bat:

set GRASS_PYTHON=%GISBASE%\extrabin\python.exe

Not exactly user-friendly, but simple enough once you know
what to do.  any reason not to make the full path the default?

Hamish