[GRASS-user] g.extension error installing install r.hazard.flood

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 05:09:03 PDT 2013

Richard wrote:
> I'm getting the following error on using g.extension to
> install r.hazard.flood:
>
> g.extension.py extension=r.hazard.flood
> svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/gui/scripts/g.extension.py",
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/usr/lib/grass64/docs/html/grass_logo.png'
>
> I've checked Nabble forum comments re installing extensions
> but cannot find a solution.

that file comes from the grass-doc package. is it installed?
(search for which package has the file: `dpkg -S grass_logo.png`
if installed; `apt-file search grass_logo.png` if not installed)

> What would be the best method to install? Is there a manual
> way of installing an extension?

at least three other ways, the first is try g.extension[.sh] from
the grass command line (it's a separate module from the python
version), the second is to just make a ~/bin directory and put
the script in there (may need to log out and back it to get
~/bin in your path automatically).
if you have all your personal scripts in a directory somewhere,
you can set and export the GRASS_ADDON_PATH to that pathname
before starting grass and the script will then be in the GRASS
path.
and finally, if you have the full grass source code installed
you can run `make MODULE_TOPDIR=/path/to/src/topdir`.

> My system:
>  6.4.3-1~svn548 (mint 13/ubuntu precise)
> I get the following error on attempting to install grass-dev
> into the system using the package manager:
>
> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/grass-
> dev_6.4.3-1~svn54876~precise1_i386.deb:
> trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/grass64/include/Make/Rules.make',
> which is also in package grass 6.4.3-1~svn54876~precise1

where did you get the packages from? UbuntuGIS? the solution when
working with after-market packages and having trouble is to
completely remove/purge the old from the system before trying to
install another version. (it's a moving target, apparently the
previous package was not sync'd to the new build rules from
DebianGIS, but the new one was, and the packager has not put
a Conflicts: in the debian/control file)

Hamish