[GRASS-user] Error in GRASS 7 and r.out.mpeg

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 05:37:03 PDT 2013

Rainer wrote:
> I am trying to use r.out.mpeg, but I get the error below:

that module is quite old and crusty, or rather the MPEG-1
codec is. You might try for e.g. d.out.file and the WebM
encoding example from the wiki for better results.

   http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Movies

IMO we should consider to retire the r.out.mpeg module, maybe
replace it with a script to encode directly to WebM &/or a series
of raw frames for another encoder of the users' choice. (something
simpler to maintain than the ffmpeg in nviz anyway, outsource the
encoder programming--we just provide the individual rendered
frames)

> ,----
> | GRASS 7.0.svn (grass):~/.../AlienManagementDrakensberg/sim
> > r.out.mpeg view1="Rubus
> | raster map(s) available in mapset <asmDrak>:
> | raster map(s) available in mapset <asmDrak.2015>:
> | Reading raster map <Rubus_age>...
> | Reading raster map <Rubus_seedsSoil_2015>...
> | ERROR:  Could not open output file!
> | WARNING: mpeg_encode ERROR
> `----
>
> I have no idea why this error occurs - any suggestions?

do you have write permissions in the current directory?
is there disk space free?
does the g.tempfile module seem to work?

> Self compiled from grass-7.0.svn_src_snapshot_2013_03_23
> under Ubuntu raring.

Hamish