[GRASS-user] g.extension and spotty access to svn.osgeo.org

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 22 22:54:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Brian Miles <selimnairb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 22, 2013, at 7:55 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Brian wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use g.extension to install some add-ons (one
>>> of which I recently contributed), but the download fails at
>>> some times/on some machines.  Just today, I was able to
>>> download a particular extension on my Mac,
>>
>> so g.extension was working for you? is it GRASS 6.4.2? we've
>> been looking for feedback on that; which way of calling
>> g.extension? from the Terminal command line or from the wxGUI
>> menu?  see  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/854
>>

> Well it worked in that it could download the code from SVN.  The compile fails utterly on OS X, similar to the problems described in the ticket.
>

>>> ...  Here is a typical error:
>>> repository or no network connection or another problem
>>
>> Hi, yes it was a known problem yesterday with the server,
>> MarkusN restarted Apache, hopefully it helps. If not we may
>> need to reboot it.
>
> I continue to have this problem today.

I am part of the OSGeo SAC team
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Primary_Administrators

but hesitate to reboot the machine without agreement since many
projects are hosted there.

In any case, the trac health status can be seen here:
http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/trac.osgeo.org.html

The GRASS/GDAL/OpenLayers/... server health is here:
http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/projects.osgeo.org.html#Apache

Average Web accesses: 36.22/second = 3 million access per DAY.
Quite some traffic with 7 million/day as peak.

Recently some machines have to be under attack from spam farms
as well. We need to understand what happens there.

I'll try to investigate more,

Markus