[GRASS-user] Getting Started with GRASS Python Scripts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 23 14:06:32 PDT 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013, Martin Lacayo wrote:

> Have I understood correctly that a database can only contain one
> projection, which is set when it is first created, and that besides
> importing and exporting data all processing has to happen with data that
> is in the database?

Martin,

   You seem to confuse database, location, and mapset. There is only one
database (here, it's in /home/rshepard/grassdata/) where everything is
stored.

   The database can contain multiple locations, each one with a specific
projection. For example, I have a number of projects in Washington state so
I have (among others) Washington-Counties/, Washington-HUC/,
Washington-Hydro/, Washington-LL/, Washington-NED/, and Washington-NHD/.

   Notice that Washington-LL is in long/lat; others might be in SPCS, UTM, or
whatever other projection is used by the data source.

   I also have project-specific locations. Each of these has a basic
PERMANENT/ map se and multiple other map sets that might have different boundaries,
themes, and so on.

HTH,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |