[GRASS-user] Openness Calculation

Rebecca Bennett rabennett at ymail.com
Tue Nov 5 01:00:45 PST 2013

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links to further papers (and apologies for the multiple original posts - I think my computer must have been having a moment)

r.geomorphons looks like just the ticket - time to experiment!

Best wishes,
Rebecca

On Monday, 4 November 2013, 21:01, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

Rebecca Bennett wrote
> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness
> vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002
> http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf)
> and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro
> relief.
>
> Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up
> other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based
> on GRASS here
> http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf
>
> Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting
> microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation
> (image attached for clarification).
>
> All the best,
> Rebecca
>
> Openness.png (109K)
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png%3E

at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.htmlsee

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to
Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M.
Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an
actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al

2002.

-----
best regards
Helmut