[GRASS-user] GRASS Android apps

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 03:26:23 PST 2013

Hi,

I recently added a new page on the wiki regarding GRASS + Android.

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Android

please feel free to add ideas, suggestions, and wishes to it.

For now I'm mostly just thinking about reference manuals and ebooks,
for when you are in the field on a laptop without much screen space
for lots of help pages.

e.g.
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=perl&fdid=com.qubling.sidekick
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=manual%20&fdid=com.chmod0.manpages

Calibre seems good for going from HTML to ePub and Mobi, and probably
PDF too.  PDF->eBook is apparently not a pretty thing. HTML actually
seems the preferred starting format, so we should be able to make progress
quickly.
  http://calibre-ebook.com/

At first I thought about a single large eBook with volumes within it
for quick intros, module synopsis+menu location, and man pages, but now
I am thinking separate ebooks for each of those topics. Perhaps it
depends on how easy + powerful the TOC structures are in Calibre?

The nice thing about an eBook is that it is more cross platform and so
with a cross-platform program like FBreader or a pdf reader could be used
on iPads, laptops, unrooted mobile devices, workstations, whatever.

but you got to love the instant search features of a native app :), and
there is already some basic template code in github (see manpages link above) so it should be quick to impliment.

I would tend to leave any actual GIS-on-tablet tasks to osgeo projects
which are already written in java, but would love to hear ideas and needs.

?

regards,
Hamish