[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Video Flashback 1987: Shatner Tells You Where You Can Stick Your Maps

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Oct 5 04:31:19 PDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear GRASS people,
>
> you must see this piece of history :-) (thanks to Peter Loewe who discovered
> it on the web)
> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/08/shatner-loves-digital-maps/

You can also enjoy it on our site:
http://grass.osgeo.org/home/history/documents/

-------
The GRASS Story Video
http://grass.osgeo.org/uploads/grass/history_docs/grass_movie_CERL_1987.mov
Watch the video (64 MB, 14 minutes, USA CERL, 1987)

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Engineering Research
Laboratory produced this video to explain basic concepts and potential
applications of geographic information systems to land managers at
Army installations. Although the GRASS GIS is mentioned, the overall
presentation of GIS topics is fairly generic. The video present a
good, basic introduction to GIS that makes reference to GRASS
(GRASS-GIS).
-------

Years ago we asked Jim Westervelt (CERL) if we could publish it and they agreed.
Now a viral video? :-)

cheers
Markus