[GRASS-user] scripting efficiency

Wiley Bogren wiley.bogren at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 22:59:19 PDT 2013

hi GRASS community!

I'm amazed how well this software handles vector operations - especially
the overlay operation seems unparalleled in open source software.  Thank
you very much to everyone who has been involved in the development process!

I would like to script a workflow where I apply the same set of operations
on a few hundred sets of shapefiles, consisting of v.in.ogr, several sets
of v.overlay, some database operations and v.out.ogr.  The shapefiles are
20-30MB apiece, containing many polygons, each with many vertices.

Is there a difference in speed or processor efficiency between the
different scripting approaches?  By which I mean python vs bash shell, and
within the GRASS environment vs calling the functions from outside the
environment (like via python grass.script).

Thank you for any opinions or advice!

-Wiley