[GRASS-user] GRASS and libgeos 3.1.1/3.3.3

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 03:19:23 PDT 2013

Hi Gary,

> I have recently updated Ubuntu to 13.04, now I find when I open grass and
> select a mapset I get the following errors:
>
> Error 1
> g.proj or projection error... ...libgeos-3.1.1.so: cannot open...
>
> Error 2
> Error setting region...
>
> Error 3
> same as error 1
>
> So I think the problem is that I have libgeos-3.3.3.so not libgeos-3.1.1.so
> So I guess two solutions, either install libgeos-3.1.1 or correct grass to
> search for 3.3.3.
>
> How would/should I do this?

where did you get your GRASS package from? UbuntuGIS?

working here with the stock 6.4.2-2build1 ubuntu grass package on Mint 15
(aka ubu 13.04) all's ok. (but that doesn't depend on geos at all- too old)

if the ubuntuGIS package please file a bug on their PPA or post to ubuntu at
lists.osgeo.org asking for a rebuild.

have a look at available dependencies & versions with:

apt-cache policy grass-core
apt-cache policy libgeos-dev

packages for GEOS 3.1.1 don't seem available on Raring as standard pkgs,
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgeos

regards,
Hamish