[GRASS-user] r.in.lidar segfaulting

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 04:57:08 PDT 2013

Micha Silver wrote:
> I have compiled GRASS 7.0 on Debian Wheezy (everything else in the spatial
> stack are stock packages), and I'm getting a segmentation fault on both
> r.in.lidar and v.in.lidar.
>
> GRASS 7.0.svn (ITM):~/GIS/DEM/LIDAR_EinYahav/Version2 > g.version -g
> version=7.0.svn
> date=2013
> revision=57816
> build_date=2013-09-23
> GRASS 7.0.svn (ITM):~/GIS/DEM/LIDAR_EinYahav/Version2 > r.in.lidar
> in=/media/cdrom0/pt000005.las out=pts05 meth=mean
> Segmentation fault
>
> Here's a sample of the *.las files I'm using (this one is only 260k):
> http://www.surfaces.co.il/dl/pt000028.las

Both r.in.lidar and v.in.lidar say that none of the 7651 points in
that file is valid. I am using libLAS 1.7.0 with GeoTIFF 1.4.0 GDAL
1.10.0 LASzip 2.1.0. I remember that [r|v].in.lidar require a recent
version of libLAS and other users experienced problems with older
versions of libLAS. Which version are you using?

> In the lasinfo output I don't see anything unusual (other than z values <
> 0). The *.las are projected into our local tmerc CRS.
> I can run las2txt and then import the text file with v.in.ascii, but I'd
> like to work out what's wrong with the direct raster import. Any ideas how
> to further debug this?

You can try gdb, see also the GRASS wiki [0].

Markus M

[0] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Debug