[GRASS-user] r.in.lidar segfaulting

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 00:20:43 PDT 2013

Micha wrote:
>>> I can run las2txt and then import the text file with v.in.ascii, but
>>> I'd like to work out what's wrong with the direct raster import. Any
>>> ideas how to further debug this?
Hamish:
>> does las2txt + r.in.xyz work?
Micha:
> I'm using las2txt + v.in.ascii, then v.surf.rst That works as expected.
>
> The spread of the point cloud is very irregular, some cells (1x1 m)
> with 50+ points, and some with none, so I guess that r.in.xyz would
> be less desirable?

I'd think that the point density case you describe would be the ideal
scenario for using r.in.lidar or r.in.xyz, so if anything I'd suggest
it was more desirable to conflate all the points within the sq. meter
to a single one as a pre-processing step than trying to fit a spline
to all of them (n.b. I'm not entirely familiar with v.surf.rst's sub-cell
resolution decimation method, but if it isn't doing that beware the
close-proximity overshoots).

(r.in.lidar uses the same binning method as r.in.xyz (using libLAS for
the input stream instead of an ascii file) so you can expect the use
cases to be near identical, it just saves you the las2txt step. They are
mostly the same code.)

regards,
Hamish